It’s Finally Here: HUB Grand Opening On March 2
The highly-anticipated HUB renovations are nearly complete. After what feels like (and has been) years of waiting, the HUB-Robeson Center expansion grand opening is set to take place next Monday, March 2, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
According to the HUB Expansion Facebook page, the grand opening event will include music, tours, giveaways, cookies, and cake, along with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new east entrance to the building.
The March 2 grand opening is on pace with an “early March” opening estimate made by Senior Director of Union and Student Activities Mary Edgington in late January.
So far, the Penn State Federal Credit Union, PNC Bank, ID+ office, and new bookstore have opened and are fully functional.
What else will the new HUB include? Plenty of updates and additions (progress noted below):
- The area near the HUB parking deck will be enclosed in a “green room” atrium type structure with a new commons area — in progress
- The HUB bookstore and food court will be completely remodeled — complete
- The LION 90.7 FM station will be moved — in progress
- PNC bank and the ID+ Office will be moved downstairs — complete
- A THON store will be created — set to open on March 16, two weeks after the grand opening
- Walkways will be improved on the east side of the building — in progress
- The vacated PNC and ID+ location will be taken over by an office for the new Center for Character, Conscience and Social Responsibility — in progress
- Three large meeting rooms will be added upstairs — in progress
- A new multipurpose flex theatre will be added on the first floor — in progress
- The entrance near where the HUB bookstore is now will be remodeled — complete
Check out our fall photo tour of the HUB construction here.