Organizations To Sponsor Events During Sexual Assault Awareness Month
As part of continued university efforts to combat sexual violence, April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. A multitude of organizations will hold events throughout the month on the subject, featuring events hosted by the UPUA. Here’s a rundown of the Sexual Assault Awareness Month events taking place on campus this month:
In partnership with the Center for Women Students, the UPUA will sponsor events on campus April 6-10. The organizations will have tables with resources about consent and sexual violence on campus next week in the HUB. The UPUA is also sponsoring fundraisers at restaurants throughout the week including Chipotle and Cold Stone, with proceeds going to the Centre County Women’s Resource Center. A complete list of events can be found on the UPUA website.
Bystander Intervention Training
The Commission for Women’s Personal Safety and Sexual Assault Awareness will hold Bystander Intervention Training on Wednesday, April 15 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. in the library’s Mann Assembly Room. The program is free and open to all Penn State staff and students. The training aims to educate students on how to identify abusive or potentially abusive situations and how to respond if one suspects foul behavior. In addition to the training, pizza and soft drinks will be provided.
A list of the various events taking place on campus throughout the month can be found below:
- The UPUA is also sponsoring a speech by Jasmin Enriquez, founder of Sexual Violence Awareness Week, who will speak at Alumni Hall at 6 p.m. on April 6 about her endeavors with her organization, Only With Consent, which advocates for the importance of consensual sex.
- The GPSA will present a movie screening of “The Mask You Live In,” a film on the societal norms of masculinity and its effects on American men. A discussion will follow the film, which begins at 5:30 p.m. on April 7 in the HUB’s Freeman Auditorium.
- Kristin Meyerback from the Centre County Women’s Resource Center will deliver a speech entitled, “Sexual Assault 101,” at 12:30 p.m. April 8 in Freeman Auditorium. Meyerback will speak on how to support survivors of sexual assault and what resources are available for them.
- Katie Tenny, the chair of the Bystander Intervention Taskforce and a counselor in CAPS, will conduct a seminar, co-facilitated by the Center for Women Students on intervention training at 6 p.m. on April 8 at a site to be determined. The seminar will focus on how to be an active bystander in a potentially harmful situation.
- Men Against Violence and the Interfraternity Council will sponsor the annual “Walk A Mile In Her Shoes, The International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence” at noon on April 9 on Pollock road. The event aims to spread awareness and give men the chance to see what women go through, even if only for a brief time. All men participating are required to attend an education session immediately prior to the event in Freeman Auditorium.
- The women’s studies honor society, TRIOTA, will host a mattress carry April 10 in an effort to show support for survivors of sexual violence.
- Nancy Donoval, National Story Slam Champion, will present “Crafting Your Story” to teach individuals how to transform negative experiences into a more positive memory at 3:30 p.m. on April 14 in the Garden Room of Pasquerilla Spritual Center.
- The Memorial Lounge of Pasquerilla Spiritual Center will host “Honoring Survival: Transforming the Spirit” to honor the strength and might of sexual violence survivors at 6:30 p.m. April 14.
- Lambda Theta Alpha will host their annual event and walk, “Take Back the Night,” at 6 p.m. April 23 in front of Old Main. The event aims to have sexual assault survivors share their stories to a supportive group.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
In an effort to maintain its standing as an alcohol and substance-free event, Movin’ On has banned all bottles and bags from festival grounds.
If you waited until the last minute to plan your State Patty’s daylong outfit, we have your back.
Send this to a friend