Things To Do At Penn State During The Bye Week
Fall semester at Penn State is pretty fast-paced between homework, socializing, and football. While some of us are glad for the brief respite, the bye week can start to drag by, especially if all your friends decide to head home for the weekend.
Fear not, though, because we put together this nifty guide of events happening in State College this weekend:
Go To Some Parents & Families Weekend Events
Every year, Penn State conveniently schedules Parents & Families Weekend during the bye week. Even if your family is unable to attend this weekend, there are still some fun events on the schedule. The full schedule is available here, and here are a few we recommend:
- There is an open house at the Penn State All-Sport Museum on Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the south west corner of Beaver Stadium. It will feature a special exhibit, “Field to Front: Nittany Lions at War, 1917-1919.” The exhibit features the stories of Penn State athletes who took part in World War I. Suggested admission donations are $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12, students, and seniors.
- You can check out the exhibits at the Palmer Museum of Art for free on Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- There is public skating at Pegula Ice Arena on Friday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Enter through Gate C on the south side of the building. Admission is $6 for PSU Students with ID and skates are available for rent for an additional $3.
- You can visit The Arboretum at Penn State’s Pumpkin Festival all weekend. On Friday evening there’s a Jack-o’-Lantern contest and lighted Jack-o’-Lantern display. Family activities and live music will take place from 4 p.m. ro dusk on Saturday. Food vendors will be on site both Friday and Saturday evenings.
Attend Some Other Penn State Games This Weekend
Lots of other Penn State sports teams are competing this weekend. Go show some support for some of these teams.
- Women’s Ice Hockey will play Clarckson University on Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. at Pegula Ice Arena.
- Women’s Volleyball will face Michigan State on Friday at 7 p.m. in Rec Hall.
- Women’s Volleyball will play Michigan on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Rec Hall.
Go To The THON 5k
Lace up those running shoes FTK for the 17th Annual THON 5k, which takes place this Sunday at 9 a.m. starting at the Bryce Jordan Center. Registration is $15 for the Fun Run or $18 for the Competitive Run, and you can register online through the day of the event here.
Other Fun Activities
To cross something off your Penn State bucket list while the temperature is still reasonable, take a hike up Mount Nittany. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, check out these other recommended hikes.
If you have access to a car (or are willing to pay for an Uber), then there are tons of additional fall activities close to State College for you to enjoy. Check out some of these options here.
If all else fails, gather up your friends who opted not to go home this weekend and go out for an impromptu bar tour around State College. But above all, make sure to rest up for next weekend’s White Out game against Michigan. You’ll need it when you realize you need to wake up early on a Saturday for #GameDayPSU.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers?
“As we work together to make the impact as least disruptive as possible to our students and employees, we strongly urge Congress and the president to end this impasse.”
Send this to a friend