Predicting The THON 2018 Line Dance
We dance in one (!) which means it’s almost time to hear a song we will hear more than 46 times for the first time — the Line Dance. Perhaps the second biggest reveal of THON weekend, it’s always exciting to hear the Line Dance for the first time to see what THON thought was most important since the last 46-hour dance marathon.
A year is defined in a lot of ways, but every year I think the line dance and THON do a really good job in defining a year by its most pivotal moments and stories, both at Penn State and across the world. So again this year I’ve been keeping track of everything that’s happened at Penn State and across the country to try my hand at predicting what will be in the 2018 Line Dance. For the final time in my Penn State career, check out what we think will make the cut:
Penn State Things
- Skeller closing or student/alumni efforts to #SaveTheSkeller
- Wrestling is NCAA champs again
- Men’s hockey wins the Big Ten
- Women’s volleyball wins the Big Ten
- Women’s soccer wins the Big Ten
- Campus gyms are free for all (thanks Student Fee Board)
- ANGEL officially dies
- College of Communications renamed to the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications (Good luck rhyming that one, though.)
- College GameDay finally returns
- Zagster Bike Share comes to campus
- A shoutout to the three class gifts
- Fiesta Bowl Champions
- Goodbye Saquon, goodbye Joe Moorhead
- Eagles win the Super Bowl!!
- Solar Eclipse
- Huricane Harvey (Texas), Hurricane Irma (Florida & Caribbean), and Hurricane Maria (Puerto Rico)
- Las Vegas shooting
- California wildfires
- The “Ballistic Missile Threat” false alarm in Hawaii
- RIP Tom Petty, Roy Halladay, Chester Bennington (Linkin Park), and Hugh Hefner
- Penguins win the Stanley Cup (again) (ugh)
- North Korea threatens missiles
- Bombing at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester
- Women’s marches around the country
- Violence in Charlottesville
- Serena Williams being a tennis goddess
- Never forget a mere one week after THON 2017 when Warren Beatty read the wrong Oscar winner for Best Picture (sorry La La Land)
- April, the giraffe that millions watched and waited to give birth on Facebook live
- People playing Animal Crossing and Fortnight
- Some mention of HQ Trivia or “Qumero Numero Uno,” “HQ-ties,” “Quiz Daddy Scott Ragowsky,” etc.
- Fidget spinners? Are those really only less than a year old?
- Vine resurges as Vine 2
- #MeToo Movement
- Beyonce’s pregnancy
- People eating Tide Pods (which, ?)
- “13 Reasons Why” being Netflix binge show of the year
- Taylor Swift has been in many a line dance, but now she’s #NewTaylor so she might be back again
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal engagement
- Those weird Starbucks unicorn Frappuccinos
- “Football players take a knee”
- “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran and its insane popularity
- “Salt bae”
- Cardi B “Bodak Yellow”
What did we miss? Comment below what else you think will make its way into the line dance this year!
Thank you, as always, to all the people that help me compile this list every year — my roommates Maggie & Kristen, and this year new staff writer Kyleigh and THON staff writer Brent.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
“To any current underclassmen reading this: learn the fight song, cheer loud, and tailgate early. You’re lucky to be a Nittany Lion.”
“Do you guys like Teen Beach Movie?”
‘We’re Failures From This Week If We Don’t Get Better From It’: Penn State Hoops Aiming For Improvement Amid Three-Game Skid
The Nittany Lions went 0-3 in the ESPN Events Invitational over Thanksgiving break, finishing in last place.