Penn State Set To Celebrate Campus Pride Month Throughout April
Through the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity, Penn State has announced a series of events in April to highlight the LGBTQ+ community during Campus Pride Month.
Check out the following schedule to see how you could get involved as Penn State recognizes and celebrates the LGBTQ+ community.
- Pride HUB Takeover — Wednesday, April 6, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — HUB
- The Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity is partnering with student groups as well as campus and community partners to learn, watch drag performances, dance, play bingo, and even meet two queens from television’s “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
- KaraoGaye — Thursday, April 7 — 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Alumni Hall (HUB)
- Show off your voice or come and watch the show while enjoying pizza and soda during this themed karaoke event.
- Lecture with Katrina Karkazis — Thursday, April 7 — 6 p.m. — 101 Thomas Building
- Author of “Testosterone: An Unauthorized Biography” Katrina Karkazis will speak to students about ethics. Additionally, a Yale senior research fellow will speak about “Sex Itself: The Science, Politics, and Ethics of Categorization.”
- “Super Gay 5K” — Saturday, April 9 – 10 a.m. — Pollock Road HUB Entrance
- Starting at the HUB, participants are welcomed to join the 5K through campus or volunteer to help run the event. A few awards will also be given at the conclusion of the run. Registration is required.
- SPA Drag Show — Monday, April 11 – -7 p.m. — Alumni Hall (HUB)
- Penn State’s Student Program Association (SPA) is presenting a drag show with Opulence, a student-led group.
- Cameron Esposito — Wednesday, April 13 — 6 p.m. — Freeman Auditorium (HUB)
- Cameron Esposito is a comedian, actor, and writer from Los Angeles coming to be the Pride Month keynote speaker. She is known for her time on CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, and many more networks while also serving as the host and creator of the “Ask A Lesbian” series on BuzzFeed.
- “Hairspray” — Thursday, April 14 — 7:30 p.m. — Eisenhower Auditorium
- Pride Punchline Comedy Show — Tuesday, April 19 — 6 p.m. — HUB 008
- The Women’s Comedy Troupe, Derby, and CSGD are scheduled to host a Pride-themed comedy night.
- QTPOC Drag Show — Thursday, April 21 — 7 p.m. — Heritage Hall (HUB)
- The show will feature dance teams and local drag queens while highlighting queer and transgender people of color.
- Lavender Graduation — Friday, April 22 — 6 p.m. — Heritage Hall (HUB)
- The Graduation celebrates the achievements and accomplishments of graduate and undergraduate LGBTQ+ students from all Penn State campuses. The ceremony gives recognition to scholarship recipients, offers thanks to supporters, and will provide rainbow tassels, stoles, and graduation certificates just to name a few. The link to register can be found here.
- State Gayla — Saturday, April 30 — 7 p.m. — HUB Alumni Hall
- The final event of the month is a prom-like event for LGBTQ+ students and allies to get their second chance at their high school dance or just to celebrate with their peers.
Additionally, the Campus Pride Month march and rally that was originally scheduled for April 1 has been postponed to April 11 at noon. The march will go from the HUB to Old Main as an act of support for the LGBTQ+ community.
A number of other events are also taking place at several other Penn State campuses. A comprehensive list of events can be found here.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
One of our staffers issued a response to SPA’s handling of a Twitter interaction following its announcement of a Domestic Violence Awareness Month speaker.
“It’s nice to enjoy my 15 minutes of fame.”