After months of speculation and reports from recruiting experts, analysts, and insiders, the big day is finally here: National Signing Day.
All around the country, thousands of high school football players will be penning their names on letter of intents and faxing them over to the school of their choice. The Nittany Lions head into the day with one remaining scholarship, and the team has 24 commits, either verbal or already enrolled.
James Franklin will address the media at 4 p.m. before hosting “The Signature Event” at the Bryce Jordan Center at 5 p.m. along with current and former Nittany Lions to discuss the recruiting class.
Penn State’s class is currently ranked #21 by Rivals, 247sports, and Scout, and #22 by ESPN. You can find a full list of the 25 players currently expected to sign below, followed by our live coverage of the day’s events, which we will continuously update.
Here are the 25 players expected to officially become Nittany Lions today (players with an asterisk next to their names indicate players who are already signed and enrolled at the university):
- ATH De’Andre Thompkins – Swansboro, NC * (@Calle_Alectia)
- WR Saeed Blacknall – Manalapan, NJ (@RaaShad_TTG)
- QB Michael O’Connor – Bradenton, FL * (@TheTrueQB)
- WR Chris Godwin – Middletown, DE
- OLB Troy Reeder – Wilmington, DE (@troyreeder9)
- DT Tarow Barney – Northwest Mississippi Community College (JC) *
- RB Jonathan Thomas – Danvers, MA (@JohnnyGuapo381)
- WR Troy Apke – Pittsburgh, PA (@Traps_5)
- ATH Trace McSorley – Ashburn, VA (@TM7_NextGen)
- TE Mike Gesicki – Manahawkin, NJ (@mikegesicki)
- ATH Koa Farmer – Sherman Oaks, CA (@KOAFARMER)
- OT Noah Beh – Scranton, PA (@NoahBeh)
- ATH Daquan Worley – Coatesville, PA
- S Marcus Allen – Upper Marlboro, MD (@Chico_Ehhh)
- CB Grant Haley – Atlanta, GA (@haleyboy10)
- RB Nick Scott – Fairfax, VA (@NittanyKidNick2)
- DT Antoine White – Millville, NJ * (@antoinewhite53)
- OT Chasz Wright – Woodbridge, VA *
- OT Brendan Brosnan – Park Ridge, IL
- ATH Jason Cabinda – Flemington, NJ (@jasoncabinda)
- CB Amani Oruwariye – Tampa, FL (@ooFUTURISTICoo)
- RB Mark Allen – Hyattsville, MD (@theALLENshow)
- S Christian Campbell – Phenix City, AL
- TE/OL Chance Sorrell – Middletown, OH (@Chanman158811)
- ATH Torrence Brown — Tuscaloosa, AL (@torrencebrown11)
Check below for frequent updates on National Signing Day and Penn State’s 2014 recruiting class.
11:20 a.m.: Here’s the completed big board, [email protected]
10:51 a.m.: Marcus Allen makes it official as he’s the last commit to sign his letter of intent.
10:41 a.m.: Three-star running back Mark Allen has signed, as announced by Shola and Addy Franklin in the war room. That’s 25 commits by our count.
10:34 a.m.: The team has all sorts of special guests, from the Blue Band to the Lion, in the war room today announcing signings.
— Onward State (@OnwardState) February 5, 2014
10:31 a.m.: In other news, four-star Massachusetts running back Jonathan Thomas has signed, according to FightOnState’s Greg Pickel.
10:28 a.m.: A surprise commit came this morning as three-star athlete Torrence Brown out of Tuscaloosa, Alabama signed with Penn State. You can read more on Brown here.
10:05 a.m.: Koa Farmer has announced via his Twitter account that he has officially signed with Penn State.
OFFICIALLY A NITTANY LION #WEARE
— KOA#⃣6⃣ (@KOAFARMER) February 5, 2014
9:56 a.m.: Here’s a look at a trio of early enrollees celebrating National Signing Day in the war room.
EEs Michael O’Connor, De’Andre Thompkins & Antoine White pose with a jersey before their names are put on the board pic.twitter.com/CmdLEkqwId
— Josh Moyer (@ESPNJoshMoyer) February 5, 2014
9:52 a.m.: Penn State is still waiting on word from Jonathan Thomas, Koa Farmer, and Mark Allen. Farmer is operating on California time and I would expect that the other two sign shortly. The three of them, all of those who already signed today, and the five enrollees would make 24 total commits with 25 scholarships to give.
9:38 a.m.: Make that 20 commits as the Blue Band just announced three-star Virginia running back Nick Scott as the latest to sign his letter of intent.
9:32 a.m.: Commit #19 is officially Christian Campbell as his high school just tweeted out a picture of him signing his letter of intent.
9:25 a.m.: Here’s a look at the big board in the Penn State war room courtesy of James Franklin himself.
— James Franklin (@coachjfranklin) February 5, 2014
9:20 a.m.: It’s been a hectic morning for the Penn State football team, as recruits have been faxing in their Letters of Intent since 8:24 a.m. Here are all the players who have signed so far:
- Jason Cabinda
- Noah Beh
- Chance Sorrell
- Troy Apke
- Amani Oruwariye
- Grant Haley
- Trace McSorley
- Troy Reeder
- Saeed Blacknall
- DaQuan Worley
- Chris Godwin
- Mike Gesicki
- Brendan Brosnan
James Franklin still has seven spots left to fill on his big board, and one scholarship left to play with. The team missed out on three-star cornerback Lamont Simmons earlier this morning,but other than that, there’s no word on who will fill the final spot. But hey, at least defensive line coach Sean Spencer is having a good time…
Atmosphere is live at the football complex! The Fax machine is rolling…we are getting better with every ring! #turnup
— Sean Spencer (@SpenceChaos) February 5, 2014