Penn State Football Game Observations: Alabama
Well, this week’s set of observations were a little less enjoyable to put together than last week’s. Still, here’s what I noticed during yesterday’s loss to Alabama that you may not have.
- The student section made their QB choice clear during the 2nd quarter when thousands of students held their index fingers in the air in support of #1. By the 4th quarter, they had changed that to #2 (for reserve quarterback Shane McGregor).
- A new song/chant was brought to Paternoville this week, and the first few rows of the student section were bouncing up and down to it sometime during warmups. Will we see it catch on in the entire student section by next season?
- While we’re talking about the student section, it was as loud and energetic as I’ve experienced as I continue my fourth and final season in it. We did our job.
- Hats off to the Penn State Blue Band. Their usual tunes were spectacular, as always, but the 9/11 tribute at halftime had me tearing up. No matter what the score, you guys are the best.
- The Penn State Lionettes were rocking some camo shirts after halftime, presumably as part of the 9/11 tribute.
- The “BEAT Zone” was…disappointing. The plan was changed from spelling out “BEAT BAMA” with placards to simply giving two large sections individual signs that said “BEAT BAMA,” and sporadically replacing “We are…Penn State” with a “Beat…Bama” chant. It didn’t go over too well.
- I love flyovers, but the poor timing of yesterday’s made it slightly awkward. Still, very cool, and when the pilots were later introduced, one unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a Penn State shirt.
- The Penn State defense really misses Pete Massaro at defensive end. Alabama QB A.J. McCarron had all day to throw.
- Are we sure that was really Joe Paterno in the booth, and not just a cardboard cutout? And, if it was him, why was he not wearing a headset?
- Have you ever seen a team use all three of their timeouts on the first drive of the game?
- I miss the Gladiator video, but the video played after Rock ‘N Roll made specifically for this game had me ready to go put on a helmet myself.
- Did you see the Onward State banner in front of the southwest corner of the student section? OS spent the week at Paternoville to get front row seats.
- Zombie Nation was not played a single time during the game.
- Penn State evened their record in “Whitehouse” games to 2-2 with yesterday’s loss.
- Alabama only had one false start all day, but I don’t believe the crowd caused it. Penn State apparently had issues communicating on offense due to the noise. Someone please explain this to me.
- Every Alabama fan I encountered throughout the weekend was great and seemed very appreciative of how they were received in Happy Valley. Kudos, Penn State, for rolling out the “Northern Hospitality” this weekend. That said, there was way too much damn crimson in the stadium.
- Matt McGloin caused some Twitter drama last night by responding to (an admittedly ridiculous and uncalled for) comment by a fan. Still, if you’re a QB at a big-time university coming off of a rough game, you can’t lose your head like that. Compare that to what Bolden or Redd tweeted after the game, which only seemed to make fans want to support them more.