College of IST Continues Search For New Dean
A job listing of sorts has gone up on Penn State Live in the hopes of recruiting a new Dean for the College of Information Sciences and Technology. Here is a summed up version of what the University is looking for in the new Dean of IST:
Be able to lead a team of 50 professors and a school of 1,350 students.
Have an intense understanding of the concepts that are taught and researched at the College of IST.
Have the credentials to be a tenured professor.
Be able to stick to a budget.
Be able to fundraise like crazy.
The committee in charge of choosing a new Dean is led by Honors College Dean Christian Brady. The committee will be accepting applications starting February 15 and will accept applications/nominations until the position is filled.
As a student of the College of IST, I’m looking for a few things from the new Dean:
- Update the IST and SRA degrees to be current with today’s technology and issues.
- Create an Emergency and Disaster Management degree with focuses on prevention, response, and collaboration during crises.
- Invest in more collaborative space in the IST Building.
- Reduce class sizes across the board, even if they have to move IST/SRA classes outside of the IST Building.
- Hire more faculty to teach new and improved courses.