The Master Playlist: Every Song Played At THON 2015 In Order, On Spotify
By CJ Doon (made the playlists), Tim Gilbert (wrote the words), and about 15 other staffers who helped compile these songs.
It took countless uses of Shazam (thank god for that app, man), handoffs of Google Doc control, and jokes written about one another on said Google Doc, but we did it. We compiled every single song played at THON 2015, in order, from the moment the dancers stood until the moment they sat down.
OK, well, kind of. I’m not going to lie…we missed a few. Even with a full staff, the coordination required when everyone was doing multiple things and in various states of delirium throughout THON proved quite daunting. Furthermore, Shazam couldn’t pick up some of the more esoteric songs, and Google searches for lyrics sometimes proved fruitless. As a staff, we estimate we missed no more than 10 songs, and considering we recorded 554 in total, we’re proud of ourselves.
The favorite for most played song was a winner — Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” is just too THON-tastic. It did tie with Ke$ha’s “Timber,” about which I’m quite surprised since the song keeps yelling about things going down, which the dancers wanted nothing more. Remember, we only compiled songs played by bands or over the loudspeakers that weren’t part of a performance or dance number because recording those would have been too tricky.
Throughout the day, CJ completed the arduous task of making Spotify playlists for our list and finding some statistics. Because Spotify has limits on how many tunes you can put in one list, we broke them up for your listening convenience. You’ll notice T-Swift and The Beatles are missing because they hate music streaming. The songs are in the playlists in the order in which they played.
I found it interesting no song was played more than six times, but wasn’t too surprised by Taylor’s straight dominance here. If you have 36 hours on your hands, give these playlists a go.
Most Played Songs
- “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift — 6
- “Timber” by Ke$ha & Pitbull — 6
- “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show — 4
- “Twist And Shout” by The Beatles — 4
- “Jump Around” by House Of Pain — 4
- “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift — 4
- “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars — 4
- “Shut Up And Dance” by Walk the Moon — 3
- “Seven Nation Army” by White Stripes — 3
- “All The Small Things” by blink-182 — 3
- “Semi-Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind — 3
- “Hey Ya” by Outkast — 3
- “Break Free” by Ariana Grande & Zedd — 3
- “Black Widow” by Iggy Azalea — 3
- “Please Don’t Stop The Music” by Rihanna — 3
- “Livin On a Prayer” by Bon Jovi — 3
- “Pompeii” by Bastille — 3
Most Played Artists
- Taylor Swift — 16 songs
- The Beatles — 11
- Bruno Mars — 9
- Calvin Harris — 8
- Avicii — 7
- Ke$ha — 7
- Coldplay — 6
- Iggy Azalea — 6
- Bon Jovi — 6
- Katy Perry — 5
- One Direction — 5
- Rihanna — 5
- blink-182 — 5
To view the playlist in its entirety, click here to open up the full list in Spotify’s web player.