Osagie Family Expresses ‘Disappointment And Confusion’ After No Charges Filed Against Officers
The parents of Osaze Osagie, the African-American State College resident who died after being shot by police serving a mental health warrant on March 20, issued a statement in response to Centre County District Attorney Bernie Cantorna’s announcement that no charges would filed against the involved officers.
The statement detailed their conversation with Cantorna on Tuesday, May 7, the day before he released the report’s findings to the public. Sylvester and Iyunolu Osagie expressed “disappointment and confusion” when they met with Cantorna and other law enforcement officials and learned of the investigation’s findings.
Sylvester, Osagie’s father, said he had been driving around looking for his son and wasn’t notified that police were going to enter his apartment.
“I thought the police and I were working together to protect my son,” he said to Cantorna. “There is no question that people in this community have been traumatized by the police shooting of our son — people of all races, people whose children have mental health issues, people who can no longer trust the police to protect their children.”
Iyunolu, Osagie’s mother, asked Cantorna, “Isn’t there something wrong when you send the police to protect your son to take him to the hospital and they send him to the graveyard?”
“The District Attorney’s decision opens a new wound for the Osagie family, who will forever regret reaching out to the police to seek emergency help for their son,” said Kathleen Yurchak and Andrew Shubin, the family’s attorneys.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
As THON weekend approaches, a fundraising year like no other in THON history wraps up.
We promise that we didn’t set out to pick on Connor MacEachern, who “won” the most votes in three different categories.
Send this to a friend